Sunday 24 June 2007

Giddyup

Gypsy Vanner


I've had a brilliant day today but now I have a sore botty. I found an excellent stable out near Port Talbot - it's in the middle of the most stunning hills and forests. It looked like something out of Lord of the Rings and we kept expecting Gandalf to appear in the middle of the road!

I went on a two hour hack on a beautiful skewbald called Lenox. He really was a good mount for me - calm but not lazy, although he did start tripping a bit halfway. It was a really relaxed hack, but we picked up the pace after about an hour, along this narrow mud lane that went up a steep hill into thick woods. We broke into a fast canter at this point. I was nervous because it's been a long time since I was on a horse proper. I helped a friend out at her stable last New Year and had a play about then, but only in the arena. Didn't get any real pace up. I'd been looking forward to this and dreading it at the same time, uncertain whether my balance would last :op 

We went full-pelt up this hill. Uneven ground beneath, and a sheer drop-off to the left that went down, down, down into a river gorge. Because Lennie had been tripping a bit at trot, I had a horrid image of him doing it at canter, which would have thrown me over his head and down the ravine! But he was brilliant and maintained a steady pace throughout, just coming up a little short at the end when the pony in front stopped suddenly. I landed my inner thigh on the pummel, so feeling a bit tender when I sit down now lol 

Importantly, I remained in the saddle. The lady behind me had travelled over from London for the weekend. She said that when we took off, and she saw the drop, she started singing The Sound of Music in her head to keep herself calm! I think that would have made me turn the horse towards the drop.

Other than the instructors, none of us were particularly gifted riders. Like I say, it's been a couple of years since I did anything like this. Last time I was on my own (there were 8 of us in this hack) and the instructors I went with were far too experienced for me. They kept breaking into canter, pushing gallop, down really over-hung lanes in the Forest of Dean. Put me off doing it again because I was just trying to find my equestrian feet. Luckily for me, but unfortunately for the rider on that occasion, one of the horses slipped badly turning a corner (too fast in mud) and took a tumble on its rider. We ended up slowing the pace right down and walking back. Not a nice thing to happen, but I was relieved because, if we'd carried on at that pace, it probably would have been me.

This stable near Port Talbot was completely different. They are so friendly. Really put you at ease, but also pushed you a little - just enough - which was nice. Both myself and Lennie were chomping at the bit to let loose, and we got the chance. He would have carried on happily if we'd been able to. Maybe next time. 

Despite the initial nerves, I relaxed into it pretty well. It's easier to canter than to trot because you do get that lovely rockinghorse motion. You feel yourself slide deep into the saddle. There is something sensual about horses lol Good book by Mary Midkiff entitled She Flies Without Wings, which explores the relationship between women and horses. Might go dig it out again.

I'm planning on doing another couple of two-hour treks this month and next, just to build up my muscles, because I’m walking like John Wayne at the moment. It's pretty embarrassing. They do a three-hour advanced hack and I was thinking about doing that as a treat for handing in my dissertation later this year. See how my body is holding up by then. I have to admit that, by the end of the two hours (we overran slightly), I was seriously ready to dismount. My legs had turned to jelly and I had big blisters between my fingers because I didn't wear gloves. Happens every time, and I completely forgot about it because it's been that long. 

I also thought about booking an hour's private tuition to refresh myself on jumping. When I was a kid I was pretty fearless and there was this adorable pony at Holdenby, my old stables, who was loved by every young rider. His name was Angus, and I won a time trial trophy for speed jumping on him. I'm curious to know what a full-sized horse could do.

I think that the point about riding horses and becoming a good rider (and I may be wrong about this) is less about technique - because there are only so many ways you can hold onto a horse - and more about learning not to fear them. Especially as adults, when there's a lot further to fall. One of the instructors today said that she thought it was better when people were a bit naive - that they rode better - because when you know what they can actually do, what they're capable of, you lose your nerve and they know it. 

I think that's right. Seeing that pretty nasty accident I mentioned above, and knowing a horse at Holdenby that was put down because one of the others kicked him - and the stories of accidents that have occurred - it's not the safest of sports. As an adult I think you're more aware of your own mortality and it stops you getting into the rhythm of the horse. When I relaxed into the canter, my breathing and the horse's were one, and time felt like it slowed down. It's a wonderful feeling, and I think that's why people keep doing it despite the dangers.

The biggest danger was getting back into a four-tyred beast. I was almost incapable of driving the car!

One other concern I had is that I’m hugely allergic to horses. I dosed myself right up, and didn't have a single itchy moment! Even my eyes were fine. I read somewhere that vitamin C is really good for allergies. Yesterday and today, I took an antihistamine and two large doses of vit C. I also avoided alcohol, milk and tabacco for 24 hours beforehand. The combination seems to work but anti-Hs make me feel all cotton-woolly, like I’m coming down with a cold. Don't like them. Next time I’ll try just taking one on the day but keeping the vit C level up. I was so relieved about that, though, because it's hideous otherwise - I come out in big red patches, my eyes gunk up and my nose runs constantly. Horrid.

[NB 2013: After extensive further experimentation, I can thoroughly recommend Vitamine C as an antidote to horse allergy. Take 1000mg a couple of hours before you go riding and you'll be absolutely fine. Change clothes and shower when you get back so you're not exposed once it wears off. If it's your first time around horses for a while, take one the night before, too. I've found it to be a miracle cure, and the only one you need.]

The weather was amazing. It was forecast to rain and, on the way, there were showers. On the way back it was torrential. But all the time we were out it was glorious sunshine. I just wore a strappy top and I’ve caught the sun a bit on my shoulders. Also test-drove my new half-chaps, which I bought off eBay the other week when this horsy bug first started to nibble at me. They're ace and make a world of difference - no seam burn up my leg, plus they keep the mud off. I'm thinking of investigating in a hat, and definitely some gloves. Maybe even a silk if I’m feeling adventurous. I see it as an investment. It's all equipment I’d take with me abroad if I get the Rwanda job and they have horses. Not a bad form of transport, but also a very enjoyable way to get around :) Keep me fit at least.

So, here's to horses - especially Lenox. He was very kind to me. And here's to getting back in shape in the saddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment