Wednesday 15 August 2007

Judith Stone




Came down to Mum's on Monday and been having a really good time. Even managed to knock some more of my dissertation out.

I've been having an ace time with my mate Jim, who is also a folklore/standing stones buff, originally from Keswick, a stone's throw (ho ho) from Catslerigg. He took me out to have a look at the Judith Stone at East Farndon. I'd been before to the Church, where there are some very interesting earthworks once referred to as 'moot hill', suggesting they're older than the Civil War relics they say they are, but I’d never seen the stone. I doubt I ever would have found it without Jim, whose friend knew where it was. It was quite an adventure - we found a natural spring/marsh which I fell into and almost lost my shoe, then we got chased by randy bullocks lol but it was worth it.

Also spent two consecutive nights getting to know our new Landlord and Landlady: Kate and Nobby. They're opening a micro-brewery in the yard of the Ward, so good things to come. They really are brilliant, couldn't ask for two nicer people to turn around the run of bad luck the pub has had. The first night I bored them to death on the folklore, but could be real tourist potential there. Have to wait and see. Also saw a massive toad (hand-sized!) waddling about.

Was a very groovy time indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment