Monday 11 February 2008

Sula & Co. - Meet the Family

Ahem,

I am proud to introduce... my family


I had to put off collection because I had a stinking cold over the weekend and resigned myself to my bed. Then, I went for one kitty - came home with three!

Jo was secretly hoping I'd take two (she had four) - but I'm afraid it was a difficult decision. The two she hoped I'd take - which I have - are Sula and her grey brother. They're such good playmates. Very alike.

Then, there was a very special little boy. It was impossible to refuse. He's white with a grey tiger-striped tail. He's earned the nickname 'Climber' - he sees you, he climbs you. He loves to be loved, whereas the other two are already very independent.

The last white one stayed behind. I couldn't cope with four. I'm not sure three was a grand idea lol Number four was just a little behind the rest and not quite ready to leave the nest.

I'm still wondering whether I lost my marbles somewhere along the way, but they are utterly gorgeous. The two boy ones haven't got names yet, but maybe Ishuheri (Wind Storm) for the grey one - maybe not, though.

Their mama's called Umweru (White) and their uncle is Kabibi (Smudge). I'll give it a few days and see.

So far they seem very happy. No pining. Helps having them all together, I think. It's still sinking in...

I felt awful earlier - the power went out for hours and I was navigating the kitchen by oil lamp. I turned and accidentally kicked the grey one across the kitchen! I couldn't see him in the dark and wasn't expecting anyone to be there!

He was quite upset by the experience and hissed me when I went to say sorry. He's since forgiven me, though. I took him into the pantry, gave him a mouthful of fresh fish, and we said no more about it lol Seems to be forgotten. It's going to take a while to get used to having them around.

As for toilet training, Jo sent me home with a big bag of sawdust. Nay bother, they came in and knew exactly what the tray was for! What a relief.

They're just over six weeks old now. Jo was a little worried that the white one wouldn't feed. Both the whites were a little behind the other two, but he was first out of the carry-case and has wolfed down both fresh fish and dried. The other two sit politely by, nibbling from the bowl - he just wades straight into it :) He doesn't seem to like milk, but the other two do.

Fresh fish will only be a treat for them as it's expensive and I have no fridge. However, you buy buckets of dried fish which will hopefully go down okay. I've been warned not to give them too much milk as it can upset their tummies. You can only get UHT stuff here, not fresh. They seem happy enough, though. Apparently they also love avocado!!! I picked a few from the garden today. When they ripen I'll see'f that's true.

Poor Jo - she knew she had to let them go, but she's been texting all evening lol She's more upset than their mother!

So, yes. I have a family. They’re cute and kind of fluffy, and I'm everso slightly allergic to them, but I think that'll wear off

Actually, I made an interesting discovery of my own today. I thought I’d bought two tins of tuna for them, but I opened one and discovered it’s ‘Cheddar Cheese’!!! In a tin!!! I looked at it in disgust for a while but then, as you do, I put it on a biscuit and ate it – it’s not half bad. Bit like rubber, but edible. Not Cheddar, though.

Anyhoo. They’re gorgeous :)

No comments:

Post a Comment