Friday 14 March 2008

Gitarama

Cyclo

I was up at six, bisis were busy so took a moto to Atraco. Bought two tickets at 7:30, as arranged with Parfait, and stood waiting for him. Bumped into another ex-VSO who was signing a contract for a new job with the Christian Women's Foundation, the Director of which was also going to Gitarama, so we boarded the bus and shared chapatis. Nice lady.

By ten-to eight I knew that my colleague wasn't going to make it. The bus pulled out of the station at eight, and at twenty-past - when we were already well out of Kigali - he texted to ask me to tell the bus to wait for him. I would have laughed if I'd been in the mood. I was quite annoyed because I'd made the effort to get out of bed and organise all of this, late into the night, and he couldn't even get the bus on time. I'd managed to sell his ticket at Nyamirambo, so I wasn't out of pocket, and Augustin was refunding my travel expenses so nothing was lost. However, having told Karen that I would deliver her a representative of our organisation, and then to arrive empty-handed, was a bit of a disappointment.

As it was, I had an absolutely fantastic day. Arrived in Gitarama (second largest city in Rwanda) around 9:30, having witnessed the most spectacular roadblock. A 16-wheeler truck had gone over sideways across the entire road. Apparently it'd been there for a week, everyone had to drive around the edge.

We went to Karen's local school, where there are loads of Deaf kids of all ages. Even those that aren't Deaf sign, but it's quite limited signing and everyone learns English and French. I saw my first African albino. He was hearing, but refused to go to his local school because of the teasing. He felt more comfortable at the Deaf school.

Then we took a taxi up to JAM, where Nix is the Headteacher. She's not VSO, but often comes to our Capacity Building meetings to pick up tips. She's South African and so easy to get on with. The school was originally set up as an orphanage in 1995. They collected up all of the children who didn't have a home and flew out lots of resources/toys/equipment for them.

Nix has been there for two years now and is thinking of moving on. Her job, as well as running the school, is to help set the kids up for leaving, so that they have an independent future. Each child has around £1,000 behind them, given through the church and through oil money (complicated). Some of the orphans have been there since the genocide - over 14 years - and are very institutionalised. There are some behavioural problems, and many disabilities. We had a good chat. Hopefully RNAD can get involved in helping to set up the Deaf kids, who are more likely to be taken advantage of when they leave the school. I'm going to have a talk to Augustin and see if we can help start an apprenticeship scheme and help JAM with some training.

It was excellent meeting the kids. They came from three schools, including Butare, which is streets ahead in Sign Language. All the kids from there are really good communicators. We had an excellent time. They mix into groups and go around doing different activities like football, volleyball, dance, art etc.

There was a lovely chocolate cake for break, and a yummy lunch. It's a lovely area of the country and I'm so glad I went. Bumped into another Deaf guy from Kigali, Emanuel, who I sometimes see in the office. He's hoping to teach IT there. We went home together at 3pm and I got my first cyclo experience! It's like a moto, but with someone peddling a bicycle. I only did it because it was downhill, but it was a wonderful way to travel. You sit on a cushion on the back and watch the world go slowly by. Very tranquil.

At the bottom of the hill we immediately found a minibus direct to Kigali, and another to Kimironko! Some days the transport system just smiles on you.

I was knackered when I got home. Did a little washing and tidying, then hit the hay. Off to Gahini tomorrow for St. Paddy's day and Bruce's 60th birthday. D and Emmy should be coming too.

Have a fantastic celebration wherever you are and whoever you spend it with!

No comments:

Post a Comment