Thursday 14 August 2008

Uh...I'll Get My Coat...

Moon over Kigali
 
Oh fuck.

Sorry, don't usually open my posts in French...but....ah.

Hahaha.

Uuuuuh.

So yeah, like inni'.

Bollox.

I've had an awesome but highly surreal day. I had a major lie-in and I put all of this random weirdness down to massive lack of sleep.

There's been a mosquito infestation the past few days. They've been spraying in the villages, so all the mozies have come on vacation to Kigali. Really - usually you don't see a single one and suddenly there's hundreds. Worse - my cats shredded my mozie net recently. For the past five nights I've been up between 3-5 in the morning with the lights on, swatting the bastards who have managed to come and cuddle up to me.

It's become so bad that, despite the homeopathic  antimalarials Aunty Patsy sent out - which I am taking! - I've actually reached for my doxy. It's only because my folks are out at the beginning of September. After the amount of organisation and money spent on tours, and wanting to spend quality time with them, I'm taking no chances. My body is already full of stomach acid after two days back on the antibiotics, but rather that than spend the visit tucked up at the Polyclinic.

So, yeah, I’ve been chronically tired this week from lack of sleep. That's my excuse anyway.

I slept in a little this morning, then decided to head to the Chinese Shop and buy a new net. VSO gave me one, but it's predictably too small for my bed. Then they said that they didn't have any more. No sooner had I returned from the shop then I get a call from the lovely Mr. Bosco at VSO saying he's just bought me one! C'mon guys - synchronise lol

I now have a replacement and can't wait to sleep under it tonight, knowing I will be in absolutely no danger of being bitten. Really means a lot to me. Just have to keep the cats away from it.

Then, at 5pm, I jumped on the bus to Nyabagogo and got off at the big spanking new size-of-a-state American Embassy in Kacyiru to meet up with Rose. It was the first time I'd been to her house, which was really cool. The pastor and another of our members - Florence - were in the front room with ten copies of the constitution. I handed them Dad's contribution to get the registration completed on Monday. Our first funding application is to the Volant Trust, J. K. Rowling's organisation - major fingers crossed. We spent the next hour dipping our gorgeous official stamp in ink and signing in quadruple on every copy. It was a phenomenal feeling. We were joined by another member, Bernadette. It's so cool to think that we've achieved all of this in just a matter of weeks, and to meet some other local single parents. I have such a good feeling about it.

There was another face there, too. A slightly familiar one - D. He'd come to make up the registration numbers as we needed another signature. Rose hadn't thought he would turn up but, when we walked through the gate, there he was, playing with her cuter-than-cute daughter.

So, we finished up all the paperwork. I really can't say how proud I am of this organisation and of Rose and everyone involved. It really felt real sitting there tonight, all working on this.

Rose walked us back up to the main road. She and D were in front, chatting, and I was bringing up the rear with her little girlie holding my hand. A few local school kids walking home reached out and touched me (for good luck?) but I was so chuffed that I didn't mind.

At the top of the road, Rose was heading back to the house to finish up, and I needed to get a bisi. D waited for me on the other side of the road and we started walking.

And we just kept walking. It was like that Fastball song lol We walked past the bisis, past several bisis - we walked the entire length from Kacyiru to Kisimenti! That's quite a distance. It was a gorgeous, warm night. It's been blisteringly hot here the past couple of days, real mid dry season. The moon's almost full and shining brightly in a cloudless sky. It was one of those nights. 

We talked the whole way, just about 'stuff', nothing specific. Then we arrived in Kisi and I suggested SoleLuna. We shared a divine pizza, a couple of beers, and just chatted and chatted - mostly me getting irate about Ezra's plans to take Rose's daughter off her. He's also ex-communicated his younger brother in the same way he did E. The guy's an A-grade wanker. D and the younger brother are now living in Gikondo of all places (where JM's living) near Pasadena. They're really struggling.

He walked me home and I lent him a couple of DVDs before he headed off. We said 'goodnight' at the gate for old time's sake. Just a little peck or two... but the guy still turns my head! How mental is that? After everything - after how completely infuriating he is! After he drives me totally nuts - gah! What can I say? I like him. I'm glad he's still around. Rose hadn't seen him in ages, we assumed he'd gone to Uganda. He's actually staying and trying to apply for joint nationality.

Five minutes after he'd gone I received a call from JM asking where I was. He'd been past the house earlier and I wasn't in. I felt pretty bad. Not awful - it wasn't heavy, it was just a 'goodnight' kiss, but still, I should be more sensible than that. I'm in a state of confusion. D is just so much more relaxed, I guess. Or at least I don't feel so intimidated by him. He's my pal. I can hang out with him. I always could before I got arsey over having my space back. Sure, he's a hypochondriac, a slight depressive, and not exactly a go-getter, but he's kind, kinda sweet and... well, gah. I like him, even if I can't live with him ;) It was just really weird seeing him again, and doubly weird having that massive long walk and... we were both on good form.

I know, sensibly, you should never go back. Always a bad move. But it's made me very sure I want him to be around - to hang out sometimes, to just be friends like we were before it got silly. He's a nice guy, I may have been a little harsh on him. Although he did deserve it.

When the folks come out I want to go for a meal with them and invite D and Rose along. They'll meet JM too, but I want them to meet all the people who are important to me here and, despite everything, he is one of them. Pain in the arse that he is ;)

Head on straight now. This has complicated matters very slightly and reminded me to stay cool. Be slow. JM surprised me by saying he'd been over tonight. That's not strictly Rwandese dating procedure. Usually you're supposed to show as little interest as possible and frequently turn up late for everything to show you're not that bothered lol It's quite a compliment to pay an unsolicited visit.

He's staying over tomorrow night and I may try and persuade him to come to Kibuye on Saturday. But I need to think about this carefully. I need to make sure this all feels right - righter than going backwards. This is one of those situations that could quickly turn into a really bad idea all round. Maybe I just need to be on my own a bit longer? Perhaps this is all too soon? Then again, perhaps there's nothing to worry about and it was just an exceptionally strange day? I'd like to think so, and I do have a habit of staying on really good terms with my exs without getting physical or complicated.

So, I've promised myself that I won't turn neurotic over it. Looking forward to spending time with JM tomorrow night. We haven't agreed it's anything serious yet but, given tonight and the fact he turned up early to meet me at Stella before One Love, it certainly has potential. Let's just see how it goes. I know D so well, and we're so comfortable around each other. With JM it's all new and I'm still a little intimidated by how good-looking he is. Jo, Catheryn and Giudi all agree - very handsome lol Best looking bloke I think I've ever dated, but I'm slowly getting a little more comfortable around him. Inferiority complex gradually wearing off.

Right, I'm supping a cup of Earl Grey then off for a wonderfully un-interrupted night's sleep cocooned in my wonderful shiny new mozy net. I'm even going to do something I haven't done in months and months: tuck it into the mattress, so that none of those suckers are getting near me tonight :)

My boss cancelled the meeting for tomorrow, so I'm on a public holiday high. Gonna sit around and pamper myself until the man turns up. Karzai is due in as I forgot to tell him it's a holiday. I need the house doing anyway, so what the hay. He gets other days off on full pay, so I don't feel guilty about it.

Night all. Sweet dreams, straightforward relationships x

No comments:

Post a Comment