Thursday 16 October 2008

Goodnight Sweet Mao

Mao: Boxing Day 2007 - 6th October 2008

Well, it's my very sad news to inform viewers that my little baby boy, Mao, who went missing a week last Monday, was apparently run over.

A neighbour who works at a salon next door saw the poster and e-mailed me. Well, technically he said 'crushed', which I assume means hit by a car. I'm yet to catch up with the guy to ask. But, either way, he's gone.

I kind of knew it. I had a weird feeling the night he went out that he wouldn’t be coming back (strange, huh?) and then I had a dream about him a few nights ago. I was on this long clean street with brick walls on either side, and a fire escape. Mao appeared on the fire escape and we had a huge cuddle then, all of a sudden, a whole load of cats went running past up the street. He looked up at me, then jumped out of my arms and went with them. Road to the Heaviside Layer, I assume. The next day I even saw him in the garden in a beam of moonlight - rather conclusive. Then the text message to say this guy had seen it happen.

Just after I put up the posters, the guys at Ndoli's, my local shop, thought they'd found him. I got there and they'd been keeping this rather startled kitten in a cupboard for three days in case it was mine! Very sweet of them, but I think someone else is missing a cat...

The other two have been extremely affectionate since he went. Shue is turning into a right soppy house cat.

On Tuesday night, Catheryn and I went to a friend's birthday in Kacyiru. Nice bonfire and brochettes. Was a bit of a mellow hippie fest, but we didn't stay long.

Last night was much nicer. Went to Cathryn's house, which she shares with Hirut (who is currently in America), in Nyarutarama. It's a posh place and Cathryn fed myself and Giudi with a wonderful spread of tuna mayo, rice, vegetables, homemade guacamole and sheets of seaweed in a self-styled sushi fest. It was most excellent. Both Giudi and I provided the wine. We finished up mixing grape and grain and having a really good natter until about midnight, when Giudi and I walked back up the hill to mine, and she got a moto.

Tonight is some reggae do at Passadena in honour of Lucky Dube, so we're going to roll-up to that too.

D and I are through. It was nice to re-visit, but no. Although he has been texting the past day or two saying he thinks he has typhoid and really needs to get to a doctor. Steve has just been round, so I gave him some cash to take him to the hospital. Apparently he is very sick. That's my part over though, for good this time.

Not masses else to report. I've had a pretty productive day doing the English instructions for the AKR manual. Peace, our new accountant, is absolutely lovely. Very bright and capable. She really makes a difference to the office. Some of the Deaf women have been in, who are also very bright and capable, and it's a really good atmosphere. We had a meeting with VSO recently where we got a grilling on our lack of financial accounting. As such, Augustin is finally accepting that training needs to be given. So, next Wednesday I'm holding a workshop to develop a strategic plan for the organisation.

Finished training my KW Funding Officers this Thursday - they rock. Love 'em. Was an absolute pleasure, and look forward to guiding them through their first few applications in the future.

Work is pretty hectic at the moment, but I'm surviving. More as and when. Glad it's Friday.

[NB 2013: Adorable pictures of Mao.]

No comments:

Post a Comment