Monday 12 January 2009

My Family Rock

Antonia with students in Butare

Had a busy few days. Went over to Lies' last Sunday and tidied up her dreads. She's repaying me with a meal somewhere nice, which I'm looking forward to, and we had a good natter. Antonia and Han popped over during the day and I ranted so much about the whole housing thing that I think I've pretty much got it all out of my system. I'm feeling quite positive at the moment. Kind of nice to be back. Even if there's a lot annoying about the place, it's still home.

Monday, I went for a meal with Antonia to discuss the Komera project she's here to do: Deaf awareness training. Was nice. I popped to the office in the morning but it was locked and my keys are with a colleague, so I left a note. I was relieved actually, I'm dreading having to spend a day counting bricks. I suggested some training I could deliver and the response seemed to be 'if you want to do it.' Which kind of suggests I'd probably plan a lot and nobody would turn up, hence I'm asking if there's any money to join Antonia in Komera. I'm feeling really sociable at the moment and just want to get out and about doing things and visiting people.

Today has been much of the same. Antonia has found a Deaf guy, Martin, to go to Komera with her and deliver the training, so we met up and had a good chat, then met with Father Murenzi who is supporting the project. He's just back from 'casting out the devil,' something to do with performing exorcisms across the country. Apparently he was losing his voice from shouting so much. The guy's got a firm handshake, though. If anyone could cast out the devil, I'd imagine it'd be Father Murenzi.

Martin was present during the grenade attacks at Gisozi. Apparently there was a roundabout with a big Christmas tree, and everyone was standing around under it drinking and partying when the grenade landed. He said he heard a loud bang (musta been loud, he's Deaf) and when he turned around he saw this guy's severed leg come somersaulting over and land in front of him. Then everyone started running. Well, probably not the guy whose leg it was. Lot of people lost body parts, apparently :o/

Horrid way to end the year.

We had a constructive meeting. Antonia's off to Komera today, and I'm envious. I'd love to get out in the field for a bit.

But I got parcels :op

And I'm feeling a bit emotional. My family are totally amazing and I'm feeling very loved.

My dad sent a pile of clothes. I'm now wearing jeans for the first time in over a year! It feels great and they're gorgeous Monsoon ones! What disturbs me is my dad's a bloke, so how does he manage to get my size right!? Me thinks M has been helping him, it's very impressive and the clothes are gorgeous :o}

Aunty Patsy, Sali, Lana and Billy have sent me chocolate, children's books and nice smelling things - so kind x x x

Aunty Jean sent chocolate, sweeties, and snacks *hugs*

And, totally unexpected, my cousin Alx and her hubby Rob sent me a whole Christmas parcel including glittery make-look-nice (eyeshadow and lip gloss), festive panties, music, Belgian chocolates and other wonderful goodies, each individually wrapped! So completely lovely of them.

I'm feeling well loved at the moment and it's amazing what a new pair of jeans can do. Feeling army strong. Feeling 'bring it on'. Feeling I might possibly be here a bit longer after all.

Thanks so much guys. You really make me feel special - and everyone else is really jealous of the amount of parcels I get >:o>

Heehee x

No comments:

Post a Comment