Sunday 19 April 2009

A Wandering We Shall Go...

Back streets of Kigali.

I have just had a most wonderful weekend.

Had a Disability meeting Friday from mid-day, before which I went to the Belgian Doctor and guess what... I have the 'all clear'!! He didn't let me go without yanking the scab with the bloomin' tweezers again *wince* but just told me to put the cream on during the day and uncover it at night for another week - no need to return. Felt a bit sad really, he's a good doctor and I feel like I've known him for ages now, will be weird not to go back. I will try not to give myself a reason to go back though either :op

Then went to the Post Office to pick up a parcel from Dad. First one in quite some time and I'm asking people not to post anything big now, just in case it doesn't get here by the time I leave. Can take a while.

Also went to Immigration to try and pick up my green card. Typical bureaucracy. There is my green card on the desk. I can see it. Right in front of me. Can I have it? No, not before 2pm. Why? Because that's when they give them out. But it's there in front of you. I'm working all afternoon, can't you just give it to me? No. Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!

Didn't get upset about it though, you just come to expect it. Of course it wouldn't be that easy, where would be the fun in that?

Headed to La Planet, the place I'd vowed to boycott, for my pre-Disability Working Group free lunch. Coke is running a promotion at the moment where you peel off the back of bottle caps to see if you've won something. I won a free Fanta, pretty cool :) Had mélange, went to VSO, had the regular meeting with bonus chocolate sent by Karen, went for a drink with Martine at Stella and had a good catch-up. Was all good.

My fella also came home Friday from Kampala. That boy is a time zone unto himself. He's all jazzed up on some media trip he's on. He's publishing his own small-scale magazine, doing some work for other groups, and there's talk of a script somewhere along the line. He's doing really well for himself, just need them to pay him for it now ;)

Anyway, he came straight over Friday and we relaxed and started on Pirates of the Caribbean. He totally got the Jack Sparrow thing, liked it a lot. We watched the second in bed Saturday whilst it tipped it down outside. Weather here is decidedly wet. Then he headed out for a script meeting and came back in the evening. I'm editing my story (now around 35,000) as Martine's planning to take a look at it and give me an honest opinion. Bit nervous. Want it to be tight and tidy before I hand it to her.

In the evening we watched Silent Hill and he cooked a totally stunning meal of pasta and omelette - he's certainly handy in the kitchen. Started on Lord of the Rings this afternoon after an extremely lazy lay-in. Rained all morning again so had to wait for it to subside before we stepped outside.

Ever since I moved here I've wanted to know where the dirt track outside my house goes. We said we'd check it out as soon as my foot was up to it. I've been ignoring doctor's orders actually and put the cream aside in favour of tea tree and aloe vera oil which was in the parcel dad sent. Seems to be doing wonders. Today I put on my trainers for the first time since February and we walked for over an hour all the way from my house, down through the muddy back-roads of Gikondo and back up, finishing in Club Guinness for beer and brochettes. The sun was wonderfully hot and it was just a totally excellent day. The most relaxed I've ever felt wandering around Kigali - no hassle at all. Then, halfway round, a woman recognised D and stoped him to chat - it's only Miss JoJo!

A combination of staying in bed all weekend watching DVDs, the cooking, and the fresh air, but my... I do love that man of mine. I've got about another two days to continue loving him before he buggers off back to Kampala again. He has more work to get on with and he's also going to see a man about a passport. I feel it's something he should have, especially with all this work going on. There's going to come a time when he'll need one. He needs to go to Nairobi in a couple of months to see a guy there about some work. He was going to take the bus but I'm just mulling it over in my mind, I've spent close to 20 hours in total waiting around Nairobi airport in transit between one place and another, but I've never actually seen the city itself. Thought perhaps by the time he needs to go it might be time for a little pre-departure holiday. Costs around $200 per person for a round-trip and his friend could probably help out with accommodation. I get to see Nairobi, he gets to test his passport for the first time. Could be fun. Anyway, just an idea for the time being.

But, yes, things are going swimmingly between us at the moment and I'm wondering what's going to happen with the time left. Job market's still a bit hazy, though plenty back home in the UK. I know I said I don't want to go back to work in the UK just yet but sadly the salaries are quite tempting in respect of, if I needed to, I could afford to come back to Rwanda now and then. I'm trying hard not to think that way at the moment. Plenty of time to fish around, see what else is in the water.

Anyway, we're both on tenterhooks to see the final instalment of Pirates of the Caribbean. Ssshhh! Nobody tell us how it ends!

And, hey, guess what else! MTN seem to have sorted themselves out! Been online all evening. Not the fastest connection, but not disconnected either. No more error messages. All seems to be ticking along nicely! Well done guys! Hope it lasts.

So, back on my own again tonight. Bracing myself for Monday. Had a lovely weekend, hope D'll be back for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment