Monday 27 April 2009

BBC Local Off-Air in Rwanda

[NB 2013: Here's a little lesson I learned about blogging: you can be as honest as you like, provided you're anonymous. When I first started out with my travel blog, I had my name quite prominently across it. This particular post was made after the government forced the BBC off air in Rwanda for airing a discussion on reconciliation. This was rather ironic as I was standing in a printing shop a couple of days later watching a guy getting a sign made for the forthcoming Freedom of Press Awards, to be hosted in the same country! I blogged about it, and that post was picked up by a less-than-savoury individual who re-hashed it and put it, and my name, online for his own purposes. It was deeply upsetting at the time, especially as a fellow volunteer who I very much liked had just been deported for making a blog post about appalling conditions in which a lead disability organisation had been placed in a cellar, with steps, and a rubbish dump outside the window. This had happened, but you weren't allowed to talk about it. Well, blog about it. So, it was a quick wake-up call. I took down that post and replaced it with this. It's the only original blog post I no longer have, which is a shame, because I'd probably post it again now that my job no longer depends on it.]




Is possibly the worst website on the internet....


If you have come to this article after following a link on the above website, please be advised that my words were used without permission and out of context.

Despite displaying a 'comment' option, when I tried to use it, it didn't work and I wasn't able to contact the owner of the site to express my concern.

Oh, and that 'gold mine of juicy details' blog I belong to - it's a creative writing group.

Just so you know, I have absolutely no support for their website, its politics or agenda. Unfortunately blogs do get hijacked from time to time. Sorry for any offence caused.

[NB 2013: See also The New Times article: Rwanda: BBC, as We Mourn, Adding Insult to Injury and This is Africa: BBC genocide talk show pulled off air in restive Rwanda]

No comments:

Post a Comment