Saturday 11 July 2009

Love Actually, Ted

http://www.tfmdistribution.com/horsdeprix/img_index/hors-de-prix-affiche.jpg

I watched another couple of horror films last night: 30 Days of Night, which I found highly disappointing. I mean c’mon, really, if you’re going to set up a snowed-in scenario where something horrible comes to kill everybody you will never, ever beat John Carpenter's The Thing. I’m afraid that had the genre well and truly pegged. After that comes The Shining. This – this didn’t even come close. Cheap-looking vampires and hammy acting, reminded me of a contemporary take on the disasters that were vampires in Salem’s Lot, adding a little House on Haunted Hill head shaking doesn't make it right.

The second one was distinctly better: Untraceable. Good, but predictable that she was in her own basement, he was in the back of the car, and that Griffin would cop it. Sorry, spoiler. What I really didn't guess though, was that Griffin was Tom Hanks' son! Only when you hit his IMDB page do you see the photos and realise it's unmistakable. But, on the whole, a good film and nice concept. A while back I also watched Cleaner – that was good too, but again predictable. I guess with The Broken and The Exorcism of Emily Rose that even if you knew what was going on, the gruesome factor: the ways in which people died, and the originality of some of the scenes just gave them an edge.

Two scenes that particularly freaked me out: Broken: where Dad’s on the phone and his own face comes out of the darkness over his shoulder. Emily Rose: where her friend wakes up in the bed alone and sees her contorted on the floor. Both of those were, to me, defining shots in the films. Although, admittedly, in Broken the shower scene is the one I think most people are likely to remember.

Today, I finally got Definitely, Maybe running. My DVD player is a little selective about what it lets me watch and when. If it's not in the mood you can't push it. I think, after the run of bone-chillers, it was more than ready to play some light entertainment.

First thing I notice? That both Melissa George (30 Days of Night) and Isla Fisher (Definitely, Maybe) were both in Home and Away (sing it with me: hold me in your arms...). Now, I was always more of a Neighbours gal, but I did occasionally switch over afterwards, admittedly a bit later on when Gypsy and what’s-his-face were getting it on. A little after Angel’s time, but definitely still in Shannon's. The Australian invasion of LA begins ;)

Anyway, didn’t rate the film much. There were two main issues with it:

  1. It tried to be too clever for a romantic comedy. Stick to the age old format that works: girl, boy, tears, joy; bada bing bada boom. It really didn’t do it for me, although I think Rachel Weisz rocks.
  2. Never, EVER, pick a lead man that looks like Ted Bundy!!! What. Were. You. Thinking!? Seriously guys. Watch the film, then tell me Ryan Reynolds, especially with his flat cut, doesn’t look way too much like this mass murderer. Puts an entirely different meaning on the term ‘lady killer’.
The entire time I was watching the film, when I could stop myself anticipating the lead guy was going to bludgeon the lead girl to death with a kitchen stool, I just felt it was all a bit flat. Not enough aaaaah factor. But that’s okay because I re-watched Hors de prix (Priceless) last night and that has more than enough for several films worth.

I’m all out of films now! There are a handful of really, really good ones that I keep and lend to trusted friends on the strict proviso they come back, and the rest Rose keeps, or I donate to the office. But now I have nothing new to watch. I wonder what’s on at the cinema back in the UK now? If it came out since late 2007, I’ve never heard of it :o/

No comments:

Post a Comment