Friday 9 October 2009

Money Matters




Ugh. What a totally frustrating day.

Mostly revolving around the missing NGO funds, lost in transit somewhere between the UK and Africa.

Spent most of today at Fina Bank trying to sort it out. Got confirmation of transfer from the UK but Fina Bank scoured their records and found absolutely no sign of it arriving. However, they eventually explained that all sterling transfers go through their correspondence bank: Commerce Bank in Frankfurt, Germany!

So, if it left the UK and hasn't arrived, that's where it should be. But why it hasn't been transferred, or at least returned to the UK, is a complete mystery. They're going to try and contact them on Monday and find out where the money is. Meanwhile, I contacted my customer care contact at Co-op Bank who are the bank the funds were transferred from, and also my bank, and they have passed it to their Foreign Team who will try and trace it from their end. So, between Co-op and Fina Bank, we should have an answer soon. It needs to be soon, I really want to get this sorted before I leave.

Also had fun at MINIJUST. I wanted to get a final police clearance form. I think it's only valid for a month in the UK after issue, so need to get one now to smooth things over if I take a job in the UK needing police clearance. Complicated.

But it's sooo yucky having to go through the process. Yesterday I did everything necessary: got passport photos, photocopies of my visa, passport, and green card, and my receipt from Rwanda Revenue Authority. Dashed over to MINIJUST, only to find they stop processing at 1pm. It was ten-past. Aaargh!

So, went back today and shouldered my way through a tiny room of forty people, no queuing system, finally got everything stamped and stapled. Put it in the pile. Go back and pick it up next week.

Still, last time I ever have to do it.

Also went over and did Lies' dreadlocks yesterday, then we went for a meal with Amanda at New Cactus. Was lovely. Great food, loads of wine, and great chin-wag. Lots of laughter.

But, my, what a storm! Thankfully Lies has a car. Serious torrential downpour, and lightning that lit up the road like daylight. Impressive.

Got back to find the house had flooded. Water all over the floor. Sat down on a wet cushion this morning :o/

Dried off now, though.

Spent the day at Fina Bank and MINIJUST getting the above done, then met up with Martine and helped her register a domain name for the Blind Association. We ended at La Sierra with cream cake and African tea - needed a treat by then :op

Home now. Absolutely pooped. All this banking malarkey is very frustrating. Finally closed my own account the other day. Kind of sad.

Going to slurp coffee and try and wake myself up. Have a shower. Holy Jah Doves are playing tonight at One Love. It's Kassim's last gig and Lies will be there, maybe Martine and RuairĂ­, and D is coming, so should be a wonderful night. Just need to keep my eyes open long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment