Sunday 13 July 2008

Secret Confetti

Wedding Roundabout

Well, Sunday was an absolutely wonderful day. Two friends decided to tie the knot, but wanted a very quiet ceremony. They're planning to do the big cow-giving spiel next year for their families.

There were only four guests present: two Rwandese witnesses and two muzungus - myself and Nix from JAM school. She only found out the day before. Martine was invited but was already promised to another wedding out of town.

It truly was a wonderfully special day. We drove out into the middle of the burbs, to a tiny local authority office, where their friend-of-a-friend had agreed to marry them.

It was sooo sweet and the registrar was so funny. He spoke in English so that Nix and I could understand, because we don't speak French, but some of the stuff... we were streaming with tears by the end. Even the bride, who had to keep a straight face, said she was aching at the sides trying to keep it together at one point. It was funny in the good way, though. References to men as the 'forest chief', her washing him, and enquiring whether they had 'tasted' before marrying (i.e. ever had sex) because of some rules about him being able to disown a baby born so many days after marriage... important in a country without paternity testing ;)

It was quite an experience but, when they held the Rwandan flag, raised their hands, and made the oath - aaaawwww, really sweet. Very privileged to be part of it. My signature is now somewhere in a registry office on the outskirts of Kigali.

We had photos outside the office. I had to lie and tell the registrar that I was married with three kids: two boys and a girl. Well, that's almost true... married to my work, then there's Shue, Mao and Sula. He was asking all the usual questions about when I was getting married, and trying to hold my hand *shudder* Unfortunately, I was so deadpan that he was still asking me about my kids over dinner :op

We went to the Wedding Roundabout in town where we took the traditional wedding pics. Although, not so secret. It's literally a roundabout near the centre of Kigali with all the cars going past. Nice foliage, though. Everyone goes there after weddings for photos.

I meant to take them a bottle of wine but the shop was shut when I left the house. I went to the florist instead and bought a beautiful bouquet of lilies and scented stock. She carried it all day as her bridal arrangement :) Aaaawww. It went lovely with her pale green mushanana.

After the pics, we went on to India Khazana for a slap-up meal of the finest quality, rounded off with chocolate and peanut butter ice-cream at the MTN centre.

Got home after dark, wearing my African suit that Rose made for me. Very smart. First time I felt brave enough to wear it, but felt perfectly natural walking about town. The zip had gone squiffy, so I'd had to sew myself into it! I stopped off and bough cold beer, then slobbed out with a movie at home. My beautiful home which is mine, all mine, once again :)

Totally memorable, wonderful day.

Monday was slightly less wonderful. I realised the extent of my organisation's financial reporting problems. Long story, complications. Basically, our last round of funding ran out in April. The next lot doesn't start until - tenuous - this month some time. That leaves a gap of two months without funding, through which we apparently continued to spend money from two different cost centres: an allocated transport fund and unallocated leftover IT funds, used to continue running the organisation. 

Big sticky mess. I have no desire to get involved. Watch this space. But, although I reckon VSO and RNAD will probably work it out okay, eventually, it means we're left in limbo whilst the financial reports are sorted out - still with no funding to continue the dictionary project. Sooo, I've got very little to do right now except get stressed trying repeatedly to explain to my colleagues why they must stop spending money and wait.

Anyway. I escaped from it all yesterday and went down to Butare to meet up with Antonia, who is leaving soon, but wants me to take up applying for funding for her project next January. So, something else to occupy me whilst we wait to continue.

It was another lovely day. The bus down was painful. Squished into an Atraco. Antonia explained that, actually, Volcano or Horizon are the way to go - much nicer. We had lunch at her house, cooked by her domestic. It was utterly amazing food: soup, followed by rice, tomato sauce, sauteed potatoes and salad, with fruit salad for afters, and chocolate with coffee. I couldn't move!

Then she gave me a tour of Butare Deaf School, which is closed for the holidays, but Eli (a Deaf guy I keep bumping into) was there, and some others, mending an open drain in the entrance hall. It was really nice to finally get a look around the place - very cool. Also met Felix, a very cool Deaf guy who Antonia keeps going on about.

Then we headed back to town and Antonia took the bus with me up to Gitarama. She was meeting another volunteer. We discussed the project plan and her replacement outline en route. After three years it's a lot to leave behind :(

Got home around 7pm. More cold beer and another movie.

Crawling towards the weekend. Rose came over on Monday for computer lessons and to discuss our single parents project. We're calling it by a Kinyarwanda name, which sort of translates as 'giving help when you see someone in need'. Nice name. She's over again tonight for more computer lessons, then tomorrow we're going to talk to the bank about opening an account. She managed to get the constitution written and translated for a mere FRW 150,000!! I couldn't believe it - excellent. Hopefully we can look through it tomorrow and make any changes. The only down side is that the President of the organisation has to be Rwandan, so she has to be Vice Chair because she's Ugandan.

In order to get registered, we have to have seven committee members. Rose is taking Vice Chair. I'm being temporary Treasurer until we have the financial system in place and someone trained to take over. Her Pastor is offering to be President. Not ideal as 1) he's not a single parent and 2) he comes with heavy religious connotations. It might scare off Muslim single parents. However, he is influential, very supportive, and also trustworthy, so the three of us can sign on the account. Then Rose has found three other single mums to make up the numbers. Possibly also D, just to stand in if we need him. He doesn't actually have to do anything, just sign so that we can get constituted. The idea being that we get registered, get the bank account, and then get enough money to hold a big public meeting to set up a network through which we can find replacements for myself, the President, and D. It's very much Rose's organisation. It's just so pants that she can't be President. Perhaps we can call her 'executive' something-or-other, that always sounds good ;)

But it's moving forward pretty fast :)


No comments:

Post a Comment